10 Tips for Cleaner, Healthier and Faster Cooking
1. Easy Microwave Clean Up – Keep a paper plate in the microwave to catch messy spills. When it is time to clean, just throw the paper plate out and replace with a new one.
2. Perfect Fried Fish Tip - Your fish will be perfectly fried if you put it in a little milk before flouring it. Also, put it into the pan when the oil is very hot, but not smoking. Your family will love the perfect crispiness.
3. Kitchen Tricks - Don't throw out trimmings from onions and celery. Instead, freeze them to use later when you make stock or broth to add a rich flavor.
4. Make Your Lemons Juicier - Want really juicy lemons? Try this little trick. Just before you squeeze the lemons, put them in hot water. You can also place lemons in a preheated warm oven. These warmed up lemons will produce a lot more juice.
5. Apples for a Clean Mouth - Ever gone camping and forgot your toothbrush? Always remember to take a few apples along. Apples not only help digest your food, but they clean and disinfect your mouth too.
6. Ripening Fruits and Vegetables - A lots of fruit and vegetables found in supermarkets today look ripe but are hard as a rock. Put them in a brown paper bag and hide the bag away in a dark cupboard for a day or two before you eat them. Do the same for other fruits and vegetables such as avocados, bananas, kiwi fruit, peaches, nectarines, and more.
7. Prepare a Quick Salad - Serve salad ingredients on a bed of lettuce rather than tearing the salad greens into small pieces. Just lay a few lettuce leaves on the plate and layer it with a slice of tomato, cucumber, red onion and olives for a quick and healthy side dish to any meal.
8. Tender Meat – You can tenderize meat using one to two tablespoons of vinegar. Prepare a quick marinade with vinegar and spices. Allow meat to marinate in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes before cooking.
9. Wilted Vegetables – Perk up wilted vegetables by soaking in a mixture of 2 cups water and 1 tablespoon vinegar.
10. No More Burnt Skewers – Shish kebabs are a healthy and delicious meal, especially for summer cookouts. When using wooden skewers for kebabs, keep them from burning by soaking in cold water for 10-30 minutes before placing them on the grill.