Budget Friendly Meal
Eating healthy on a budget may take a little planning, but it certainly isn't impossible. Here's a meal idea that is good for you and your budget.
Healthy & Wallet Friendly Meal
Chicken is a great main dish that you can almost always find on sale. Combined with vegetables, this marinated chicken recipe makes for a filling and healthy meal.
Red Wine Vinegar Marinated Chicken
Basic Marinade Ingredients:
* 4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
* 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
* 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
* Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine marinade ingredients in the bottom of a shallow dish
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper and set into marinade
3. Turn chicken to coat
4. Allow meat to marinade for 10 minutes, turning occasionally
5. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
6. Add marinated meat and cook 5-6 minutes on each side
7. Place in baking dish
8. Cover with tin foil
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour
When frozen vegetables are on sale, stock up. Frozen vegetables can always be “fancied up” to create an inexpensive meal that is rich in nutrients. Here's a minty peas recipe that's a cinch to prepare.
Fancied Up Minty Peas
* 1 pkg. frozen peas
* 1 tablespoon Butter
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1. Heat frozen peas
3. Stir in 1 tablespoon of butter and chopped fresh mint
4. Serve and enjoy
Top your meal off with a cranberry relish that's simple to make and really tasty too. Cranberry relish is not just for the holidays either. Use it to add a nice touch to any meal.
* 4 cups frozen cranberries
* 2 C sugar
* 1/2 C. orange juice
* 1/2 C. cranberry juice
* 1 tbs. orange zest (chop finely)
* 1/4 tsp salt
* Walnuts or pecans (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a large pot.
2. Place the pot over medium heat
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Continue to until the cranberries burst open (10 minutes)
5. Remove the pot from heat
6. Transfer to a bowl
8. Cover tightly
9. Keep refrigerated until needed