A Little Soup From the Sea
* 1/2 onion, chopped
* 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
* 1 TBSP chili powder
* 1 1/2 C low fat chicken broth
* 1 (4 oz) can canned green chile peppers, chopped
* 1 tsp ground cumin
* 1 can diced tomatoes
* 1/2 C chopped green bell pepper
* 1/2 C shrimp
* 1/2 lb cod fillets
* 3/4 C plain nonfat yogurt
1. SautÚ onion in oil in large pot until just barely transparent and sweet smelling.
2. Add chili powder and garlic and continue cooking about 2 minutes.
3. Pour chicken broth in pan.
4. Stir in green chile peppers and cumin.
5. Bring to a rapid boil, reduce heat and cover.
6. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
7. Take cover off of pan and turn heat to high.
8. Stir in green pepper, tomatoes, shrimp and cod.
9. Allow to come to a boil.
10. Once boiling reduce heat to low.
11. Cover and let simmer for 5 - 10 minutes, depending on size of shrimp and cod. Turn off burner.
12. Stir in yogurt. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
If you think seafood soups are bland, you haven't tried this one. Between the chile peppers, cumin and the garlic, you won't be saying this one is just so-so. The tangy creaminess of the yogurt adds a really nice touch as well. Yummy!