Almond and Spice Peach Cobbler Dessert
* 1/2 C unsalted butter, softened
* 1/3 C sugar
* 1 egg yolk
* 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
* 3/4 C all purpose flour
* 1/4 C cornmeal
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 2 lbs peaches (4-5) peeled, sliced 1/2 inch
* 1 TBSP lemon juice
* 2 TBSP ground almonds
* 8 TBSP sugar, divided
* 2 TBSP all purpose flour, divided
* 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
* 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1. Stir together 3/4 C of flour, cornmeal and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl beat butter and 1/3 C sugar until fluffy.
3. Add egg yolk and vanilla and mix well.
4. Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture.
5. Beat on low until soft dough forms.
6. Lightly flour a flat surface.
7. Roll out dough into a circular shape.
8. Place rolled dough into a 9 in pie plate.
9. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
10. Place peaches in a large mixing bowl.
11. Add lemon juice and toss.
12. In a separate bowl stir together 6 TBSP of sugar and 1 TBSP of flour.
13. Add cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir well.
14. Fold peaches into spice mixture being sure to cover peaches well.
15. In another small bowl mix almonds, 2 TBSP of sugar and 1 TBSP of flour together.
16. Place almond mixture in the bottom of the piecrust.
17. Spoon peaches over the top of the almond mixture.
18. Bake 50 minutes or until filling is bubbling.
19. If the crust becomes to brown cover with foil until pie is done.
20. Cool slightly before cutting.
This cobbler is worth the effort! When peaches are plentiful, it's nice to serve a fancy dish like this one to celebrate any occasion. Just a nice bowl of sweet, juicy peaches on your table is cause for celebration in my house. Enjoy!