Apple Cabbage Sausage Skillet
* 3 crisp, tart apples, like Golden Delicious or Granny Smith, cored, and 2 grated and 1 quartered
* 2 tbsp butter or margarine
* 6 C shredded green cabbage
* 1/2 C thinly sliced onion
* 2 tbsp water
* 1 tbsp cider vinegar
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp black pepper
* 1 lb. smoked sausage, cooked and pierced
* 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
1. In a large skillet over medium high heat melt the butter completely.
2. Stir the grated apples, cabbage and onion into the butter.
3. Lower the heat to medium and cook for 4 minutes.
4. Carefully stir in the water, vinegar, salt and pepper.
5. Lay the sausages on top of the apple mixture.
6. Turn the heat to low, cover the skillet with a tight lid and cook 15 minutes.
7. Cook until the cabbage is just starting to get tender.
8. Lay the quartered apples on top of the mixture.
9. Sprinkle the parsley over the entire mixture.
10. Cover and cook 3 minutes longer.
11. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
It's apple season, all right. We've got more apples than we know what to do with. The cabbage is also so inexpensive right now that I can't resist. So, how do you tie those two foods together? With sausage, of course!!!
Apples and smoked sausage are a great paring, and cabbage and smoked sausage go hand-in-hand, too. So, why not put all three together? Well, this skillet dish really fits the bill - it works and kids like it, so why not? I've added this dish to my "what can I make quick tonight" list. Enjoy!