Apple Stuffed Pumpkin Bake
* 1 (4 lb.) pumpkin
* 3 qt water
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1 1/2 C of long grain rice
* 2 tart apples, cored, peeled and diced
* 1/2 C dried cherries
* 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted
* 1 tbsp sugar
* 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
* 1/4 C hot water
1. Wash the pumpkin cut out the top and remove the seeds.
2. Scoop out as much of the pumpkin as possible. Try using a melon baller if you have one. Chop the pumpkin pulp up a bit.
3. In a large mixing bowl place the chopped pulp.
4. In a saucepan over medium high heat put the water and salt.
5. Add the rice and cook cover 15 minutes or just until the rice starts to soften.
6. The rice is drained well through a colander.
7. With the pumpkin pulp put the rice, apples and cherries.
8. Mix in the melted butter and combine well.
9. Stir in the sugar and cinnamon and mix until all ingredients are completely covered.
10. The pumpkin shell is stuffed with the mixture and hot water sprinkled over the top of the stuffing.
11. The lid is placed back on the pumpkin
12. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the pumpkin on it.
13. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour 45 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
14. Cut into 8 wedges after slightly cooling.
This is a very pretty and delicious dish for the holidays. Small pumpkins are normally available at farmers markets. They may be difficult to find at times, but not impossible. It depends on where you live, but it's worth the effort to call around until you find a market near you. Enjoy!