1. To make the dough, mix unbleached flour, sugar, yeast, and salt, and set aside.
2. Place the applesauce in a small saucepan, and heat until 125-130 degrees F. Add applesauce to flour mixture, and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the egg white.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of the whole wheat flour to the dough, and stir well. Continue to add the flour in 2-tablespoons portions until a stiff dough is formed.
4. Knead dough for 5 minutes on a flat surface sprinkled with 2 tablespoons of flour. Gradually add enough of the remaining flour to form a smooth, satiny ball of dough.
5. Scrape the surface, and sprinkle it with flour. Return the dough to the surface. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 10-x-12-inch rectangle. Combine 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and the cinnamon, and spread the mixture over the dough to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Sprinkle the raisins and/or dates over the syrup, and roll the rectangle up jelly-roll style.
6. Lightly coat a 9-inch round pan with nonstick cooking spray (nonfat), and pour 1/3 cup of maple syrup over the bottom of the pan. Cut rolled-up dough into 1-inch slices. Lay slices in the pan, cut side up, spacing them 1/2 inch part. Cover the pan with a kitchen towel, and let rise in a warm place for about 30-35 minutes.
7. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. To loosen the rolls, run a knife around the edge of the pan. Immediately place the rolls onto a plate. Serve warm.