1. Set the oven to 375 degrees and preheat, and line a jellyroll pan with parchment paper.
2. Place the egg whites and salt into a cold mixing bowl; beat on high until stiff peaks form when the beaters are lifted out of the bowl.
3. Beat in 1 Tbsp of sugar at a time and continue beating until the mixture is shiny.
4. Spread this meringue evenly over the bottom of the jellyroll pan.
5. Spread the almonds over the meringue.
6. Bake 15 minutes or until firm to the touch and just barely starting to brown; remove from oven.
7. Place a piece of parchment paper on a flat surface and dust it lightly with confectioners’ sugar.
8. Invert the warm meringue onto the parchment paper and let cool.
9. Place the whipping cream into a bowl and beat until stiff peaks form.
10.Spread the beaten whipped cream over the cooled meringue. Scatter the apricots evenly over the cream.
11.Starting with the short side, roll the meringue over the filling.
12.Wrap in parchment paper and foil and refrigerate for 1 hour. To serve, dust with confectioners’ sugar and slice into circles.
Makes 8 servings
This freezes well, too. Wrap it in parchment and foil then put it in a freezer bag. To serve, just thaw in refrigerator, unwrap, then dust with confectioners' sugar and slice.
This is a pretty basic recipe that you can tweak for any season. Use peaches, blueberries, raspberries, cherries, or any fruit you desire.