Awesome Apple Bacon Muffins
* 2 bacon strips
* 2 large eggs
* 2 large egg whites
* 2 C skim milk
* 2 C all-purpose flour
* 2 tsp sugar
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 large sweet apple, coarsely grated
* 1 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
1. In a large skillet over medium heat cook the bacon until crisp.
2. Drain the bacon on a paper towel and let cool at room temperature.
3. In a mixing bowl put the eggs and egg whites and beat until well mixed.
4. Add the milk and mix in thoroughly.
5. Mix together the flour, sugar and salt in a separate bowl.
6. The flour mixture is slowly added to the egg mixture constantly stirring until the dry ingredients are completely moist.
7. Set the batter aside and allow it to stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
8. Crumble in the bacon after the 30 minutes is up.
9. Mix the apple and butter into the mixture well.
10. Coat a muffin tin with a non-stick cooking spray.
11. Fill each cup 2/3 full with the batter.
12. Bake 15 minutes in a 450 degree oven.
13. Reduce oven to 325 degree and bake 12 minutes longer or until a golden brown.
14. Cool slightly before serving.
Awesome is right! Combining bacon with apple is always a nice taste treat. The muffins come out moist and sweet and make a nice choice for a special breakfast during a holiday or any time you have overnight guests. Use a mini-muffin tin and serve these piled high on a brunch buffet. They're just good anytime!