Baked Apple Jelly Roll
* 2 C of flour
* 4 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 C shortening
* 3/4 C milk
* 2 tbsp melted butter or margarine
* 4 C apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 1 1/4 C brown sugar, divided
* 3 tbsp canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
3. With a pastry blender or two knives cut in the shortening.
4. Pour in the milk and continue to mix quickly until completely blended.
5. Sprinkle a flat surface lightly with flour.
6. On the floured surface roll the dough into a rectangle sheet that is 1/2 inch thick.
7. Lightly brush the dough with the melted butter.
8. In a small bowl mix the cinnamon and 1 cup of the brown sugar.
9. Layer the apple slices evenly over the dough.
10. Shake the brown sugar mixture evenly over the apples.
11. Roll the dough into a jelly roll and cut into 2 inch slices.
12. Grease a large baking dish with the canola oil.
13. Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar evenly over the oil on the baking dish.
14. Place the jelly roll slices over the brown sugar.
15. Bake the slices for 35 minutes or until browned.
Plan to make this when you have time to enjoy them warm out of the oven. Once they reach room temperature, they lose some of their homey appeal, in my book. Although, I can't imagine you'd hear any complaints either way! Very sweet and yummy, indeed!