Baked Italian Eggplant With Double the Cheese
*3 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
* 2 eggs
*4 C Italian seasoned bread crumbs
*6 C spaghetti sauce, divided (use your favorite)
*1 pkg (16 oz) mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
*1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese, divided
*1/2 tsp dried basil (may substitute 1/2 TBLSP fresh basil if you have it)
1. Put slightly beaten eggs in a bowl.
2. Place bread crumbs in a different bowl.
3. Dip eggplant into eggs coating well.
4. Coat with bread crumbs.
5. Preheat over to 350 degrees.
6. Place eggplant slices on a foiled lined cookie sheet.
7. Bake 8 minutes then flip.
8. Bake an additional 5 minutes.
9. Spread spaghetti sauce over the bottom of a large baking pan.
10. Layer eggplant on top of sauce.
11. Sprinkle evenly with both cheeses.
12. Place more sauce on top of cheese.
13. Continue with layers until all ingredients are used.
14. Sprinkle top with basil.
15. Bake 30 minutes or until slightly golden on top.
If you've been afraid to try eggplant, or if you think your family won't like it, give this recipe a try. Use a good jarred spaghetti sauce, one you really enjoy, or use your own leftover spaghetti sauce. Don't skimp on the cheese or the sauce and you'll definitely have your family sold on eggplant from here on out.