1. Put the garlic, basil, pine nuts, and salt in food processor and start running, then drizzle in all the olive oil as the machine is running.
2. Let this process until smooth for about 3 minutes. Set the pesto aside.
3. Cook the linguine in large pot according to directions on package.
4. Drain, reserving the water. Return the pasta to the pot and add the pesto and toss.
5. Add a tablespoon or so of reserved water to pasta if it seems dry, then toss in the cheese. Serve hot.
This simple recipe is delicious as is, but go ahead and add to the dish. Throw in some grilled shrimp, and a diced sweet red pepper for extra flavor and color.
If you like, double the pesto recipe and set half aside for later use. Just pour it into an airtight container and keep refrigerated. It will last for a week or so.