1. In large heavy skillet, brown ground beef with onions. Drain fat.
2. Add beans, chili sauce, salt and pepper.
3. Stir together until just blended, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Fill buns with meat mixture topped with cheese, if you like.
5. Top with cole slaw or serve alongside (optional)
The baked beans and chili sauce really take these Sloppy Joes up about 100 notches or so! Not only do the beans make this a more affordable meal, but the texture is really great. The chili sauce just adds a lot of sweet fire to the the dish.
In the south, cole slaw is often served as a condiment on pulled pork barbecue sandwiches and Sloppy Joes. It's a great contrast to hot, spicy food because the cole slaw is nice and cold and creamy. If you've never given it a try, just try a little bite. It's worth it!