Bread Pudding Pumpkin Cake
* 1 1/2 C of cake flour
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp allspice
* 1/4 tsp ginger
* 1/8 tsp cloves
* 1/8 tsp nutmeg
* 1 tsp salt, divided
* 1/2 C dark brown sugar, packed firm
* 1/2 C white sugar
* 1/2 C + 2 tbsp grape seed oil
* 1 3/4 C pumpkin puree, divided
* 2 large eggs + 8 large egg yolks
* 1 1/4 C whole milk
* 1/2 C maple syrup
1. With parchment paper line a baking sheet and set aside.
2. Allow the oven to heat to 350 degrees while preparing the cake.
3. In a large mixing bowl put the flour, baking soda, baking powder and mix well.
4. Mix in the cinnamon, allspice, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and 1/2 tsp salt and toss to mix all the dry ingredients together.
5. In a separate bowl put both types of sugar, oil and 1 C of the pumpkin puree.
6. Use an electric mixer on medium speed and beat 2 minutes.
7. Add the flour mixture while still beating on low speed.
8. Beat until the flour mixture is completely moistened.
9. Beat in one whole egg.
10. The second egg is added then continue beating until thoroughly combined.
11. The mixture is spread on the prepared baking sheet.
12. Bake in the preheated oven for 27 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
13. Take from oven and cool completely.
14. The oven temperature is reduced to 325 degrees.
15. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the remaining 3/4 C puree and milk.
16. To the mixture add the remaining salt, maple syrup and egg yolks and whisk until all the ingredients are mixed together well.
17. The cooled cake is broken in small pieces and put into 8 oven safe custard cups.
18. The custard mixture is poured over the top of the cake pieces.
19. Place covered in refrigerator 30 minutes or until all the liquid is completely absorbed.
20. In a baking pan filled with very hot water that reaches half way up the cups put the filled custard cups
21. Tightly cover the pan with foil.
22. Put in oven and bake 30 minutes or until set.
This recipe may be a bit more complicated looking than what you're used to, but the flavor is tremendous and well worth the effort. Save this dessert for a very special holiday!