Broccoli Cheese Bake
* 2 lb fresh broccoli cut into 2 inch pieces
* 1 C water
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1l onion, chopped
* 1 (4 oz) can mushrooms, drained
* 3 TBSP butter or margarine
* 1 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
* 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
* 1/2 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
* 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
* 1/4 tsp. pepper
* 1 C Cheddar cheese, shredded
* Freezer containers
1. Bring the water and the salt to rapid boil.
2. Add the broccoli, cover and steam for 5 minutes.
3. Drain well.
4. Add the butter to a skillet placed over medium heat.
5. When the butter has completely melted add the onion and mushrooms.
6. Saute for 5 minutes or until the onion is tender.
7. Drain well.
8. Place the broccoli in a large mixing bowl.
9. Carefully fold in the onion and mushrooms.
10. Add the water chestnuts and stir well.
11. Place the water in a large saucepan and add the salt.
12. Place the Velveeta cheese and the mushroom soup together in a saucepan.
13. Place the heat on low and stir continuously until the cheese has melted and the mixture becomes very smooth.
14. Remove from the heat and stir in the garlic salt and pepper.
15. Pour the cheese mixture over the broccoli mixture and stir well to cover.
16. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
17. Once cooled place the mixture into freezer containers.
18. Mixture will remain fresh for up to 1 month in the freezer.
19. To bake allow the mixture to thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
20. Lightly spray a casserole dish with a non stick cooking spray.
21. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
22. Place the broccoli mixture into the casserole dish.
23. Bake 25 minutes.
24. Sprinkle the top with the shredded Cheddar cheese being sure to completely cover the casserole.
25. Continue baking about 10 minutes or until the cheese has completely melted.
26. Allow to stand 5 minutes before serving.
Talk about a kid-friendly recipe! Velveeta cheese does the trick every time. This is a very nice dish to keep on hand in the freezer for quick meals or side dishes. Even for a surprise potluck or unexpected company, this cheesy broccoli won't ever disappoint!