Broccoli with Toasted Savory Topping
*10 C broccoli florets
*1 TBSP unsalted butter
*1 shallot, minced
*1 garlic clove, minced
*1/2 C bread crumbs
*2 tsp. lemon peel, grated
*1/4 tsp. pepper, divided
*1 TBSP olive oil
*2 TBSP lemon juice
1. Place a saucepan of water over high heat.
2. Bring the water to a brisk boil.
3. Carefully add the broccoli.
4. Reduce the heat to medium.
5. Steam the broccoli for 3 minutes or until just beginning to tender.
6. Remove the pan and run the broccoli under cold water.
7. Once cooled drain the broccoli well.
8. Place the butter into a skillet over low heat.
9. Let the butter completely melt.
10. Add the shallots and garlic.
11. Cook 2 minutes being sure to stir often.
12. Stir the bread crumbs into the skillet.
13. Continue cooking 2 minutes or until the bread crumbs just begin to brown.
14. Place the mixture into a mixing bowl.
15. Fold in the lemon peel.
16. Toss in 1/8 tsp. of the pepper.
17. Pour the olive oil into the skillet.
18. Position the skillet over medium heat.
19. Add the broccoli to the skillet.
20. Cook 4 minutes or until the broccoli is heated through.
21. Toss the remaining pepper in with the broccoli.
22. Drizzle the lemon juice over the broccoli.
23. Sprinkle the toasted bread crumb mixture over the top and serve.
My family likes broccoli, but they definitely get bored with plain, old broccoli on their plate. This is a simple and very flavorful way to perk up broccoli and make it more like part of the meal instead of looking like an after-thought.