Savory Butternut Squash with Spinach and Beans
*3 C butternut squash, peeled and cubed
*3 TBSP + 2 tsp olive oil
*1/2 tsp pepper, divided
*6 garlic cloves, minced
*2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
*1 tsp brown mustard
*1 lb. fresh spinach
*2 (15 oz.) cans cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
*1 TBSP sage
*1/4 C Romano cheese, grated
1. Set the oven temperature on 350 and allow the oven to heat.
2. Spray a baking sheet thoroughly with a non stick cooking spray.
3. Brush the squash with 1 T of the olive oil.
4. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp of pepper over the squash.
5. Bake 25 minutes or until tender.
6. Pour 2 TBSP of the olive oil into a mixing bowl.
7. Pour the vinegar into the bowl.
8. Whisk until completely combined.
9. Add the mustard and whisk until incorporated into the mixture.
10. Sprinkle in 1/8 tsp. of the remaining pepper.
11. Whisk again being sure all the ingredients is combined well.
12. Pour the remaining olive oil into a skillet.
13. Place the skillet over medium heat.
14. When the oil is hot but not smoking add the spinach leaves.
15. Cook the spinach 4 minutes or until wilted.
16. Remove from the skillet and sprinkle the remaining pepper over the wilted spinach.
17. Put the beans into a microwave safe bowl.
18. Blend in the squash, oil and vinegar mixture, the garlic and the sage into the beans.
19. Microwave on high for 1 minute or until warmed through.
20. Pour the mixture over the wilted spinach.
21. Top with the cheese just before serving.
There's a lot of goodness in this dish! The colors alone are amazing, but the flavor is even better. Anytime you mix balsamic vinegar, mustard, and sage together with powerful flavors like spinach and squash, you know you're going to come out with something incredibly unique.