* 1/2 cup butter, softened at room temperature
* 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 2 eggs, separated (yolks used here)
* 2 Tbsp water
* 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
* 2 cups old fashioned oats, uncooked
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 2 egg whites
* 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
* 3/4 cup chopped, lightly toasted pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray, or butter.
2. In large bowl, put butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and sugar. Mix with electric beater until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, water, and vanilla extract and continue to beat until well blended. Add oats, flour, and baking soda and blend well with a wooden spoon until a dough is formed.
3. Spread dough in bottom of baking pan. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and place on rack to cool. Turn the oven down to 325 degrees.
4. In a new cold bowl, add egg whites and beat with electric mixer until light and foamy. Slowly add 1/2 cup brown sugar, continuing to beat until you get stiff peaks.
5. Distribute this mixture over the bars, spreading to edges of pan. Put pecans on top, sprinkling evenly.
6. Bake in 325 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly browned. Remove and cool for 10 minutes on a rack. Cut into bars, then when cooled completely, remove from pan and serve.