Caraway Chicken and Tart Apples - Crock Pot
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 4 chicken breasts, cubed
* 4 potatoes, diced
* 4 carrots, diced
* 1 onion, diced
* 1 stalk celery, diced
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp thyme
* 1/4 tsp pepper
* 1/8 tsp caraway seeds
* 2 tart apples, peeled and diced
* 1 1/4 C apple juice
* 1 tbsp cider vinegar
* 1 bay leaf
1. In a large skillet over medium heat warm the olive oil.
2. Add the chicken and brown 3 minutes on each side.
3. In the crock pot, place the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery.
4. In a small bowl mix together the salt, thyme, pepper and caraway seeds.
5. Add 1/2 of the seasoning mixture to the vegetables in the crock pot.
6. Lay in the chicken breasts over the vegetables then sprinkle with the apples.
7. Mix together the apple juice and cider vinegar in a small bowl.
8. Pour this mixture over the top of the chicken.
9. Sprinkle with the remaining seasoning mixture.
10. Place the bay leaf into the crock pot.
11. Cook covered on low 8 hours or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is through.
12. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you. This meal tastes like a very complicated recipe, but is really an easy dish to make. Most if not all of the ingredients in this recipe are likely to be in your kitchen already. So, give it a try! The apples help make this meal kid-friendly, and the caraway seeds give it a nice kick that appeals to grown ups. Enjoy!