Celebration Chicken and Dumplings - Crock Pot
* 4 tbsp margarine or butter
* 1 tbsp canola oil
* 1 lg. onion, chopped
* 3 lb chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
* 2 C of chicken broth
* 2 stalks celery, chopped
* 2 lg. carrots, peeled and chopped
* 1 tbsp parsley, minced
* 1 tsp pepper
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp allspice
* 1 C dry white wine
* 1 can of refrigerator biscuits
* 1/2 C heavy cream
* 2 tbsp flour
1. In a large skillet over medium heat melt the margarine and then add the oil.
2. Cook the onion in the skillet until just tender about 2 minutes.
3. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned 2 minutes on each side.
4. Remove the chicken and onions and place in the crock pot.
5. Add the chicken broth to the crock pot.
6. Add the carrots, parsley, celery, salt, pepper, allspice and wine.
7. Cook covered 2 1/2 hours on HIGH.
8. Remove the chicken from the crock pot and set aside, keeping warm.
9. In a mixing bowl put the heavy cream and flour and whisk until the flour is smooth.
10. Add the mixture to the crock pot.
11. Cut all of the biscuits into quarters and drop gently into the crock pot.
13. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1/2 hour or until firm.
14. Push the dumplings aside carefully and slide the chicken back into the crock pot and cook on high for 10 more minutes.
Crock pot meals don't have to be utilitarian... they can be festive, suitable for a celebration. This is one of the recipes I like using for special occasions or "company's coming" meals. Dumplings are always a treat, especially when they're so easy! The wine in this chicken and dumpling dish sort of dresses it up a bit, and the cream used to thicken the dish gives it a very velvety finish. Well worth the time!