* 1 cup chopped white onions
* 1 cup chopped red onions
* 1 green bell pepper, chopped
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1 1/2 cups rice
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 2 bay leaves
* 1/4 teaspoon thyme
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 3 cups chicken broth
* 1 1/2 cups tomato soup
* 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
* 1/2 cup shredded American cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Saute onions and bell pepper in butter until tender and onions very lightly browned. Stir in rice and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Stir in salt, bay leaves, thyme, garlic and broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 15-20 minutes.
4. Stir in tomato soup and cook another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Stir in cheeses then transfer to a casserole dish that's been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes.
This is a rice side dish that has lots of flavor and can really cross-over quite easily to a main dish.
Serving rice as a side dish is a struggle in my family because if it's bland, no one will eat it. So, there is a lot of seasoning going on here along with doubling up on the cheese which helps make this dish kid-friendly and very filling.