Cheddar Lentil Loaf
* 6 oz red lentils
* 12 fl oz water
* 4 oz cheddar cheese, grated
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
* 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
* Dash of lemon juice
* 1 large egg
* 3 tbsp cream
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 1 tsp butter
1. Set your oven temperature to 375 degrees.
2. Cook lentils in the 12 ounces of gently boiling water for 10 to 12 minutes or until they resemble heavy puree.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese.
4. Blend in the onion, parsley, cayenne pepper and lemon juice.
5. Stir in the salt and pepper to taste.
6. Beat the egg lightly in a mixing bowl.
7. Whisk in the cream.
8. Pour the egg mixture over the lentil puree.
9. Lightly grease a 1 lb loaf pan with 1 tsp of butter.
10. Press the lentil puree into the prepared loaf pan.
11. Bake 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
12. Let cool a little before removing from the pan.
If you haven't cooked with lentils before, this dish is a good way to introduce them to your family's diet simply because it's a delicious meal.
Being a great source of fiber and protein, lentils are a mainstay in all vegetarian homes, but they should be in other homes, as well. Lentils pack a lot of nutritional value into a meal.