* 1/2 medium onion, chopped
* 1 large carrot, chopped
* 2 ribs celery, chopped
* 1 cup cauliflower pieces
* 1 Tbsp olive oil
* 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
* 4 cups mashed potatoes
* 1/4 cup milk
* 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
* 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, warmed to room temperature, and cut into small pieces
* salt and pepper to taste
1. In your food processor, put the onion, carrot, celery, and cauliflower and pulse until fine. You can use either cooked leftovers or raw.
2. Put this mixture into a large soup pot, add the olive oil, and put over medium heat, stirring to saute for 2 minutes. (If using cooked leftover veggies, just stir until heated through.)
3. Add the broth to the soup pot, turn heat up and bring mixture to a boil, immediately turning heat down to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Keep heat low, and slowly add in the potatoes and milk, and stir until well combined; simmer slowly for 5 minutes.
5. Keep heat low, and stir in the Cheddar cheese and cream cheese, stirring constantly while heating until the cheeses are completely melted and soup is hot - but do NOT boil. Be patient, this should take a few minutes to do correctly.
6. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
7. Serve in soup bowls with a pat of butter on top, a sprinkling of more Cheddar cheese, or a few chives. Serves 4.
I typically have at least some leftover veggies after Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, and this is a great way to use them up in a very delicious way. After trying this cheesy soup, you may want to even plan on having extra veggies leftover. All you need then is the cheeses and you'll be all set for another meal. Kids love this soup, too, because it's so smooth and cheesy.