* 3 breadfruit, green
* 1/2 lb bacon, diced
* 1 medium sweet onion, diced
* 1 green bell pepper, diced
* 1 Tbsp olive oil
* dash garlic powder
* Salt and pepper
* 1 cup sour cream
* 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Put breadfruit in large pot of water, bring to a boil, and boil for 1 hour. Set on rack to cool, then peel and remove core, and cut into 1 inch cubes.
2. In skillet, fry up bacon until just cooked, but not dry or over crisp; remove and set aside.
3. In same skillet, put onion, bell pepper, olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and cook until onion and bell pepper is softened slightly. Add bacon back to skillet and cook together for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
4. In skillet with onion/green pepper/bacon mix, add breadfruit cubes, sour cream, and 3 1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese, and stir gently to combine.
5. Turn this mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
6. Bake uncovered in preheated 375 degree oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until casserole browns around the edges and cheddar cheese browns on top.
If you haven't cooked with breadfruit yet, you are in for a treat. Green breadfruit is treated like a vegetable and must be cooked to be eaten, and is similar to other starchy vegetables. A ripe breadfruit is more similar to a fruit and can be eaten raw.
If you are lucky enough to find green breadfruit, this recipe is a good introduction. Enjoy!