Cheesy Cabbage Tomato Bake
* 2 tbsp canola oil
* 1 medium onion, diced
* 1 medium bell pepper, diced
* 2 celery stalks, diced
* 1 (15 oz.) can tomatoes with chili peppers, diced
* 1 medium head of cabbage, chopped
* 1/2 stick of butter
* 1 (16 oz) pkg. processed American cheese, cubed
* 1 C of milk
* 1 tsp flour
1. Place the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Stir in the onion, pepper and celery.
3. Cook 6 minutes, stirring often or until fork tender.
4. Stir in the tomatoes and cabbage and cook 10 minutes stirring often.
5. Place the butter and the cheese cubes into a microwave safe dish.
6. Microwave on high power for 1 minute.
7. Take from microwave and stir.
8. If the cheese is not melted continue cooking at 30 second intervals until smooth.
9. Stir the milk into the cheese mixture.
10. Stir the flour into the cheese mixture carefully and until blended in well.
11. Pour the cheese mixture into the Dutch oven and stir to cover the vegetables well.
12. Generously spray a casserole dish with a non stick cooking spray.
13. Spread the mixture into the casserole dish.
14. Bake in a 350 degree oven 55 minutes or until the casserole is heated through.
If you're looking for new ways to use those beautiful, and cheap!, heads of cabbage, here's a delicious side dish that even kids will like. The secret is the creamy cheese sauce. Also, when you cook cabbage with tomatoes, the flavor tends to mellow out a bit. Sometimes cabbage can be a little strong, so adding tomatoes helps make this dish very nice and tasty. Enjoy!