Cheesy Mac and Ham Skillet
*1 (8 oz) box bow tie pasta, uncooked
*1/4 C butter or margarine
*1 clove garlic, minced
*1/4 C flour
*1/2 tsp salt
*1/8 tsp pepper
*2 C milk
*1/2 tsp mustard
*2-1/2 C Colby cheese, shredded
*1 C cooked ham, cut into strips
*1/4 C Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Cook the pasta as directed on the package.
2. Rinse the cooked pasta in cool water and drain.
3. Place the butter into a large skillet over medium heat.
4. Melt the butter completely.
5. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
6. Whisk the flour into the garlic and butter until smooth.
7. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper.
8. Pour in the milk.
9. Stirring continuously bring the mixture to a brisk boil.
10. Allow the mixture to boil 1 minute without stirring.
11. Blend the mustard into the mixture.
12. Add the shredded cheese.
13. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until the cheese has completely melted.
15. Fold in the ham.
16. Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and mix everything together.
17. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top.
If your kids are like mine, they are hooked on macaroni and cheese. I really dislike buying all those prepackaged boxes of the stuff, but if I make a homemade version, it has to be really good to pass the kid-approved status. I have to say, this recipe is quite well accepted by both the kids and the grownups. It's got plenty of cheese in it, and the added ham, to get the kids' thumbs up, and the flavors are intense enough for the grownups. All in all, a successful mac and cheese!