Cheesy Onion Potato Bake
* 1 1/2 lb red potatoes cut into thin wedges
* 2 Tbsp butter
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 Tbsp of flour
* 2 Tbsp of brown mustard
* 1 3/4 C of milk
* 1/2 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese
* 1 C Swiss cheese, shredded and divided
* 1 tsp chives
* 1/2 C bagel chips, crushed
* 1 Tbsp of parsley
1. Set oven temperature to 350 degrees.
2. Place the potatoes into a casserole dish sprayed well with a cooking spray.
3. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
4. Stir in the onion and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
5. Stir in the flour and the mustard until smooth.
6. Pour the milk into the skillet, stir and cook just until the mixture begins to thicken.
7. Adjust the heat to low and stir in the cream cheese until smooth.
8. Sprinkle in 1/2 C of the cheese and the chives.
9. Stir until the cheese has completely melted.
10. Pour the sauce over the potatoes in the prepared dish.
11. Cover the dish with foil and bake the potatoes 1 hour or until tender.
12. Uncover and stir to be sure the potatoes are completely coated with the sauce.
13. Layer the bagel chips over the top of the potatoes.
14. Add the remaining cheese over the top of the bagel chips.
15. Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
16. Allow the casserole to stand 10 minutes.
17. Sprinkle with the parsley just before serving.
Coming up with new ways to serve potatoes is always a challenge. Baking them in cheese is one of the best ways I can think of to turn plain potatoes into a delicious side dish. The onions in this baked potato dish gives it a little more zing than just adding cheese. Of course, the brown mustard gives it a nice bite, as well. This cheesy potato dish goes very well with baked ham and brussel sprouts. Great, filling meal!