* 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
* 1 1/2 pounds cherries, pitted
* 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
* pinch of salt
* 1/4 cup granulated sugar
* 4 large eggs
* 2 large egg yolks
* 1 cup milk
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
* 3 Tbsp kirsch (cherry or other fruity brandy)
* confectioners sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lightly butter a 10 inch shallow baking dish, fill with cherries and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, sift flour and salt together, then add sugar.
4. Start gradually adding and whisking in the whole eggs, then the egg yolks, the milk, and finally the cream.
5. When combined, gently stir in the vanilla bean seeds and the kirsch or other sweet brandy, then whisk again to combine.
6. Pour the batter gently over the cherries, making sure you cover the cherries well.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the batter puffs up and gets golden brown on top.
8. Remove and let cool at room temperature.
9. Dust with the powdered sugar lightly and serve in individual dessert bowls. May serve with a dollop of cold whipped topping or a scoop of ice cream.
I use a large deep dish pie pan to make this, but you can use any baking dish that's roughly 10 inches square or round. A cake pan of that size would work well, too.
The extra egg yolks makes this a nice, rich dessert, but the fresh cherries keep it from being too heavy. The touch of brandy is a classic ingredient with cherries, just giving a bit of that intricate flavor we love. Enjoy!