Chicken and Easy Homemade Stuffing - Crock Pot
* 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
* 13 C white bread, cubed and slightly dried out
* 1 tsp poultry seasoning
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp pepper
* 1 (11 oz) can cream of celery soup
* 1 lg. onion, chopped
* 1 stalk celery, chopped
* 1 C of butter
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, place the chicken breasts.
2. Pour cold water over the chicken until they are covered. Put the lid on the skillet.
3. Bring the water in the skillet to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and simmer chicken for 15 minutes.
4. Remove the chicken from the skillet and lay on paper towels to dry.
5. Measure out 3 cups of the chicken liquid and set aside.
6. In a large mixing bowl put the bread cubes.
7. Sprinkle the bread cubes with the poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
8. Add the onion and celery to the bread cubes.
9. Stir in the celery soup until the bread cubes are moistened.
10. Dot the top of the mixture with the butter.
11. Pour the reserved chicken-simmer liquid over the bread crumbs and stir with a wooden spoon.
12. Pat any excess water from the chicken.
13. Lay the chicken into the slow cooker.
14. Spread the dressing over the top of the chicken.
15. Cook on low, covered for 6 hours.
There are lots of ways to make a chicken and stuffing dish, but this one is worth a second look. Because you make your own stuffing, you control the ingredients. You can even use a 7 grain bread if you'd like a nutty flavor.
I know those prepackaged boxed stuffings are tasty and convenient, but they can't compare to real onion and celery stuffing, and the poultry seasoning adds just the right touch of that "Thanksgiving meal" taste. Enjoy!