Chicken Liver & Bacon Stroganoff Skillet
* 5 slices bacon, chopped
* 1 lb chicken livers, cubed
* 1/2 cup flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 4 green onions, chopped
* 1 cup chicken broth
* 1 can golden mushroom soup
* 4 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
* 1/4 cup white wine
* 1/4 cup sour cream
to serve: either cooked wide egg noodles, English muffins, or cooked mashed potatoes
1. Brown bacon in skillet. Remove and put on paper towels to drain.
2. Coat chicken livers with flour, salt and pepper.
3. Put chicken livers in skillet with leftover bacon drippings along with the green onions.
4. Fry over medium heat until nicely browned.
5. Pour chicken broth into skillet and scrape bottom of skillet to free brown bits.
6. Add mushroom soup, mushrooms, white wine, and bacon to skillet and stir well to combine.
7. Cover skillet loosely with a lid or tin foil with a few holes poked in, and simmer slowly for 25 to 35 minutes.
8. Check to be sure mixture is not boiling away. Simmer very slowly.
9. When cooked through, stir in the sour cream and remove from heat, keeping covered. Let sit for a 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve over wide egg noodles like a stroganoff, and sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese on it.
We've also served it on an open faced sandwich made with toasted English muffins. You can add a slice of provolone cheese if you like to the toasted English muffin first, then add the chicken liver mixture on top and the cheese will melt. Very good!
You can also serve it over mashed potatoes like a gravy.