Chocolate Coffee Muffins
* 1 C all purpose flour
* 3 TBSP cocoa, unsweetened
* 1/3 C and 1 TBSP sugar
* 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 2/3 C buttermilk
* 1 tsp freeze dried coffee powder
* 3 TBSP canola oil
* 2 egg whites
* 1/2 tsp vanilla
* 3/4 C bittersweet chocolate, chopped
* 1/2 C powdered sugar
* 2 tsp brewed coffee
1. Set the oven temperature to 375 and allow the oven to heat while mixing the muffins.
2. Spray a muffin tin with a non stick cooking spray or use paper liners.
3. Sift together in a large mixing bowl the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt and toss slightly to incorporate all the ingredients together.
4. Pour the buttermilk into a separate bowl.
5. Add the freeze dried coffee and stir until all of the coffee crystals have dissolved.
6. Pour in the canola oil, egg whites and vanilla and stir well making sure all ingredients is stirred together.
7. Pour the oil mixture into the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula just until the dry ingredients are moistened through.
8. With the rubber spatula fold in the chopped bittersweet chocolate.
9. Fill each muffin cup almost to the top.
10. Place in the oven and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out clean.
11. In a bowl mix together the powdered sugar and brewed coffee. Mixture should become very smooth.
12. When muffins are baked, remove muffins from the oven and drizzle the smooth glaze over the top.
13. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
These muffins are really a dessert. Well, really, they have cocoa, chocolate and coffee in them with a glaze on top. I think these could be served as a 'Grown-up' cupcake! Yum!