*1 pound chicken breast cut into 1-1/4 x 1-1/2 inch pieces
*1-pound Chinese egg noodles, uncooked
*5 tablespoon cooking oil, divided
*� teaspoon salt
*2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
*1-cup bamboo shoots
*1 cup Chinese cabbage, cut diagonally
*4-tablespoon soy sauce
*1 cup water chestnuts, sliced
*1 medium onion cut in wedges than halved
*2 ribs celery, cut diagonally
*1-cup green or red pepper cut in 1-inch squares
*1-cup fresh bean sprouts
*4 tablespoons cornstarch
*1-teaspoon sesame oil
*1-teaspoon oyster sauce
*1-cup chicken broth warmed
1. Cook the Chinese egg noodles according to the package directions.
2. Rinse the noodles
3. Toss with a very light olive oil coating to keep the Chinese noodles from sticking together.
4. Put the noodles in a 13- by 9- by 2-inch pan
5. Cover with plastic wrap
6. Store the precooked Chinese egg noodles plus ingredients in the refrigerator in separate containers.
Instructions when ready to cook:
1. Place a small amount of oil in large wok or non-stick fry pan
2. Spread cooked noodles in wok and cook without stirring until light brown � about 2 minutes
3. Turn the pancake like noodles
4. Cook other side until light brown, about 2 minutes.
5. Divide noodles into each child�s bowl. As you cook each ingredient, put into separate bowls.
6. In same wok add more oil
7. Add chicken and sherry � (alcohol content will cook off)
8. Stir-fry each ingredient for 3 minutes
9. Cook in the following order chicken, mushrooms, then bamboo shoots, Chinese cabbage, water chestnuts, onion, celery, green pepper.
10. Cook bean sprouts last
11. Have each person assemble their chow mein ingredients
Make the sauce in a small separate bowl
1. Mix together cornstarch and ginger
2. Stir in soy sauce to make a smooth paste like mixture
3. Add sesame oil, and oyster sauce
4. Stir in warm chicken broth and bring to a boil
5. Slowly add cornstarch mixture
6. Stir to make smooth sauce
7. Put out for children to place on their Chow Mein
8. Chow mein can be served over fried noodles