Cool Night Chicken Pie
* 8 C water
* 1 whole chicken
* 2 celery stalks, chopped
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 TBSP parsley
* 1 bay leaf
* 2 tsp. salt
* 1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen baby carrots, partially thawed
* 1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen peas, partially thawed
* 1 (6 oz) can mushrooms, drained
* 1 C light cream
* 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
* 1/4 tsp. celery salt
* 1/8 tsp. pepper
* 1/2 C all purpose flour
* 1 pkg. refrigerated pie crust, containing 2 crusts
1. Pour the water into a large soup pan.
2. Place the pan over high heat and bring to a rapid boil.
3. Carefully add the chicken, celery and onion.
4. Sprinkle in the parsley and salt.
5. Add the bay leaf.
6. Return the water to a rapid boil.
7. Turn the heat to low, cover the soup pot and allow to cook 2 hours.
8. After 2 hours remove the soup pot from the heat and allow the chicken to cool in the broth.
9. Remove the chicken meat from the bones.
10. Strain the broth with a colander over a large pan.
11. Reserve the broth.
12. Put the chicken meat into a large mixing bowl.
13. Add the carrots, peas and mushrooms to the chicken.
14. Place the water in a large pot over high heat.
15. Toss the ingredients together to combine well.
16. Pour 4 C of the reserved broth into the large saucepan.
17. Pour the cream into the saucepan with the reserved broth.
18. Sprinkle in the nutmeg, celery salt and pepper.
19. Over high heat bring the broth to a quick boil.
20. In a small mixing bowl combine 1 C of reserved broth and the flour.
21. Whisk until the texture is very smooth.
22. Pour the smoothed mixture into the boiling broth saucepan.
23. Turn the heat to low and allow mixture to cook 3 minutes.
24. Pour the mixture over the top of the chicken and vegetables.
25. Cool the mixture to room temperature.
26. Spread a small amount of flour on a flat surface.
27. Roll out both pie crusts so they are flat and shaped in a circle.
28. Place one crust in the bottom of a pie plate.
29. Prick with a fork 6 or 7 times.
30. Fill the crust with the chicken mixture.
31. Place the other pie crust over the top and seal by pinching the two together all the way around the pie plate.
32. Wrap the pie securely with freezer wrap and seal well.
33. Pie can be frozen for up to 3 months and still remain fresh.
34. When ready to bake unwrap the pie.
35. Place the pie plate on a cookie sheet.
36. Set the oven temperature on 450 degrees and allow to heat.
37. Cut 2 or 3 small slits in the top crust to vent steam.
38. Bake 45 minutes or until the pie is a nice golden color.