* 1 cup fresh asparagus, cut small
* 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced thin
* 1/2 cup green onions, chopped small
* 1/2 cup red bell pepper, cleaned and cut into thin strips
* 1/2 cup flaked crab meat
* 8 eggs
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning (or other mixed seasoning)
* 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
* 1 Tbsp grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray or rub oil into a 10 inch oven-proof skillet.
2. Put skillet on stovetop burner set to medium-high heat. When skillet gets hot, add asparagus, mushrooms, onions and bell pepper and cook until just tender but still somewhat crisp. This will take about 4 or 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Add the crab meat and stir to combine ingredients.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, water, and Italian seasoning until mixture is well blended, then stir in the mozzarella cheese.
5. Pour this mixture over the crab and veggies in the skillet, just shaking the skillet a little to combine; do not stir.
6. Put skillet back on stovetop over medium heat and cook just until eggs set up around the edges, about 5 to 6 minutes, then sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
7. Bake in 375 degree oven until top is lightly browned, eggs are completely set, about 8 to 10 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and let sit at room temperature for 3 to 5 minutes, then serve by cutting into wedges.
Serves 4 to 6 people depending on whether this is served as a dinner, breakfast, or lunch, and whether or not you're serving with sides.
This recipe is perfect for so many types of healthy diets. If you're eating low-carb, this dish will meet many of your requirements.
Of course, you can choose low-fat cheese, but remember that low-fat sometimes means more sugar added. Also, premixed seasonings can sometimes have added sugar, so be sure to check.
If you are avoiding egg yolks in your diet, egg whites work just fine. You'll need 16 egg whites to equal 8 whole eggs. You can also use one whole egg and substitute the rest with whites just to get the color of the egg yolk and the nutrients without as much cholesterol.
Aside from all that diet talk, really... this is just a delicious dish that anyone would enjoy!