1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Line cupcake pan with cupcake papers.
3. Prepare chocolate cake mix according to package instructions and set aside.
4. In a separate bowl mix together sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in egg and mix well. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Fill cupcake cases 1/2 full of chocolate cake batter. Then add 1 full teaspoon of cream cheese mixture to center. Top with more chocolate cake batter. Cupcake cups should be 3/4 full.
6. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched in center. Cool 1 minute before removing from pan to cool completely.