* 1/3 cup butter
* 1 onion, chopped
* 3 T flour
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
* 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
* 1 cup quick cooking rice
* 1/2 teaspoon paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon oregano
* 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
* 2 (6 oz each) cans white tuna, drained
1. In large oven-proof skillet, saute onion in hot butter for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is transparent.
2. Stir in flour, salt & pepper, and evaporated milk.
3. Cook this mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until it starts bubbling.
4. Add cheese and stir until melted.
5. Mix together in the skillet (or in a baking dish if your skillet isn't oven-proof) the rice, paprika, oregano, and tomatoes.
6. Add the tuna on top and toss gently, so the tuna doesn't break up too much, just a little.
7. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
During the last 10 minutes of cooking time, you can sprinkle some buttered bread crumbs on top if you like a crunchy top layer. This casserole is very creamy, thanks to the evaporated milk. Kids seem to like it for that reason, and also because of the cheese, of course. Enjoy!