Creamy Rice and Tomato Casserole
* 4 tbsp butter
* 2 (6.8 oz) pkg. Spanish rice and vermicelli mix
* 4 C of water
* 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
* 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
* 1 (11 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained well (optional, use frozen corn)
* 1/2 C sour cream
* 1 (4 oz) pkg. Mexican cheese, shredded and divided
1. In a large skillet oven medium heat melt the butter completely.
2. The rice and vermicelli mix are stirred in and saute for 4 minutes.
3. Carefully stir in the water.
4. Both cans of tomatoes and the rice seasoning packets are stirred in.
5. Turn the heat to medium high and bring the mixture to a steady boil.
6. Adjust the heat to low, cover the skillet and cook 18 minutes or until rice is tender.
7. In a large mixing bowl put the corn.
8. Blend in the sour cream and half of the cheese.
9. Use a rubber spatula and mix from the bottom up to combine all the ingredients.
10. Blend the rice mixture into the corn mixture.
11. Coat a 3 qt. casserole dish with a non stick cooking spray.
12. Spread the corn mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
13. Cover the top of the casserole with the remaining cheese.
14. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until heated through.
This is a kid-friendly dish that grownups seem to like as well. I'm not exactly sure why kids like it so much... it's probably the cheese! Cheese is always a sure thing in my house.
You can actually make this dish with any packaged rice product and it will turn out just fine. Check out any of the Zatarain brand boxed mixes, like red beans and rice, and you'll have a totally different casserole. It's a fun dish to experiment with because you really can't go wrong! Enjoy!