* 2 1/2 lbs ripe tomatoes, chopped
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 celery stalk, chopped
* 1/4 teaspoon basil
* 1 bay leaf
* 3 whole cloves
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 1/4 cup flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 3 teaspoons sugar
1. Put tomatoes, onion, celery, basil, bay leaf and cloves in saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Bring heat down to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes - stirring occasionally. You can add a little water if the liquid goes down too fast.
2. Press tomato mixture through a sieve into a medium bowl, throw away the seeds, skin, bay leaf and cloves. Then measure the mixture and add enough water to make a total of 4 cups.
3. In same saucepan used for tomatoes, melt butter over low heat, then stir in flour and salt, blend well.
4. Add tomato mixture and heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in cream and sugar and heat through.