* 4 Winesap apples
* 1/2 C sugar
* 1/2 C nonfat dry milk
* 2/3 C quick-cooking oats, uncooked
* 1/4 C coconut, flaked
* 1/4 C almonds, chopped
* 1/4 C packed brown sugar
* 2 tbsp wheat germ
* 2 tbsp sesame seed
* 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
* 1/4 C butter or margarine
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Peel and core the apples and slice thin, into about 6 to 8 slices each, setting 12 slices aside.
3. In a mixing bowl put the remaining apple slices, sugar and dry milk, toss to coat, and spread the apple slice mixture into a casserole dish.
4. Arrange the 12 reserved slices over the top, and cover the dish with foil.
5. Bake 12 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
6. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, toss together the oats, coconut, almonds, brown sugar, wheat germ, sesame seed, cinnamon and nutmeg.
7. Add the butter to the bowl and using a pastry blender or two forks, cut in the butter until coarse and crumbly.
8. Take apples from oven, remove foil, and sprinkle the dry mixture over the top of apples in the casserole dish.
9. Return the dish, uncovered, to the oven and continue baking for 15 more minutes or until golden brown on top.
Rather than just bake some apples with a sprinkle of cinnamon, why not turn those apples into a real dessert! We go all out with the crunchy topping in this recipe - with the almonds, coconut, sesame seeds, oats - this dessert is definitely over the top! Serve warm with vanilla ice cream for a really super treat.