1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a shallow casserole dish.
2. Put the leftover sweet potatoes in a bowl with the cream cheese and mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the brown sugar and cinnamon and mix again until smooth.
Note: If your sweet potato casserole is very sweet, you can omit the added brown sugar and cinnamon. If your sweet potatoes are unsweetened, then be sure to add these ingredients.
3. Layer the sweet potato mixture into the casserole dish, distributing evenly.
4. Arrange the apple pieces evenly over the top.
5. Spoon the cranberry orange relish evenly on the top.
6. Sprinkle the walnuts over the top.
7. In a separate bowl, put the butter, flour, and brown sugar and cut with pastry cutter or with forks until mixture is crumbly. Add the cereal flakes and toss until combined.
8. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the casserole.
9. Bake, uncovered, in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until the casserole is hot and bubbly and the crunchy topping is lightly browned.
Even if you don't have any sweet potato casserole left-over after your big holiday meal, you may want to just whip up a batch for this dish. The combination of tart and sweet flavors is perfect, and the surprisingly crunchy top is a real treat.
This is a delicious AND fun recipe - I mean, when was the last time you used corn flakes in a casserole? Been a while, hasn't it??? Enjoy!