1. Turn oven on to 325 degrees. Spray a baking dish with a non stick cooking spray.
2. Layer the onions in the prepared baking dish.
3. Dot the butter over the top of the onions.
4. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the top of the onions.
5. Top the onions with the crushed crackers.
6. In a separate bowl, pour the milk and add the eggs. Whisk together well until mixture gets frothy.
7. Pour the mixture over the top of the crushed crackers.
8. In a small sauce pan over low heat, melt the butter and stir in the breadcrumbs.
9. Cover the top of the casserole with the buttery bread crumbs.
10. Bake 35 to 40 minutes in 325 degree oven or until the eggs are set and the casserole is slightly browned.
If you have really sweet onions, like Vidalia onions, available to you, this is one way to feature them in their own dish. That's the great thing about sweet onions - they can have a place on the dinner table instead of just flavoring the other dishes. Enjoy!
You may want to add a little rosemary, oregano, dill, or marjoram to this dish just to create a little more interest and flavor.