Cumin Turkey Bacon Chili
* 1 (14.5 oz) can chopped tomatoes
* 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
* 1 carrot, sliced
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 stalks celery, chopped
* 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
* 1/4 C green bell pepper, chopped
* 1/4 C red bell pepper, chopped
* 1/3 C bottled steak sauce
* 1/4 C white wine
* 1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey, browned
* 1 package (1.25 oz) chili seasoning mix
* 5 bacon slices, cooked crisp, then crumbled
* 1 tsp ground cumin
* 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained
* 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
* 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Place the tomatoes, tomato paste, carrot, onion, celery, red pepper, bell peppers, steak sauce and wine into a heavy soup pot.
2. Bring to a simmer over low heat and continue cooking at a simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the turkey, chili seasoning, bacon and cumin and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Add the beans, parsley and cilantro and continue to simmer until just heated through.
If you haven't cooked with ground turkey very much, this is a good place to get started. Turkey can be a little dry, especially if you buy the truly fat-free ground turkey. So you need recipes that have ingredients that add moistness - lots of veggies and bacon help.
Of course if you are truly trying to cut out the fat, you can replace the bacon with smoked paprika for the same kind of flavor. You can also choose to saute your turkey in plenty of good olive oil to keep the turkey moist. But, you'll find just the vegetables will usually do the trick.
Besides this recipe is so packed with spices that there's no way anyone will think the chili is less than perfect!