* 2 Tbsp curry powder
* 1 tsp garam masala
* 1 tsp mustard seed
* 1 medium-size eggplant, washed, trimmed, cut in one-inch chunks
* 2 Tbsp olive oil
* 1 large onion, diced
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
* 1 tsp salt
* 3 cups cauliflower, small florets
* 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
* 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained well
* 1/2 cup water
1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Add curry powder, garam masala,and mustard seed. Stir and add eggplant, cooking just until spices start to get fragrant, stirring, about one minute, then transfer to a bowl.
3. Add oil, onion, garlic, ginger, and salt to the pot. Continue to cook for 3 or 4 more minutes, stirring until onions begin to soften.
4. Add the eggplant back in to the pot, then add the cauliflower, tomatoes, chickpeas, and the water, stir, then bring to a simmer.
5. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 10 to 15 minutes until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
The garam masala is a nice addition, but if you don't have it, don't worry. You can mix up your own blend if you like. Use a large pinch of cumin, followed by a little less coriander, then a bit of cinnamon, and a smaller pinch of cloves and nutmeg. You just want a nice blend of warm, sweet flavors to complement the curry powder.
The chickpeas add enough protein to the stew to make this a full-meal deal. Enjoy!