Decorated Pumpkin Jack-O-Lanterns
* 4 3/4 C all-purpose flour
* 2 tbsp baking soda
* 3/4 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 2 tsp cinnamon
* 1 1/2 tsp ginger, ground
* 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
* 1 3/4 C sugar
* 2 large eggs
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 1/2 C pumpkin puree
1. In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
2. The cinnamon and ginger are sprinkled in and everything is tossed to combine well.
3. The butter and sugar are put in a separate large bowl and mixed with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
4. One egg is added to the butter and sugar mixture and mixed until combined.
5. The other egg and vanilla are added and mixed on medium speed until all ingredients are mixed together.
6. Slowly add the flour mixture beating as it is added until all has been added and the mixture is moistened through.
7. Add the pumpkin puree and continue to beat just until the pumpkin is mixed in.
8. The mixer is turned to low speed and beat the mixture for 45 seconds increasing the speed form low to medium as you mix.
9. Turn the cookie dough out on a clean flat surface.
10. Divide the dough into 2 in logs and wrap each in plastic wrap.
11. Chill the logs for 1 1/2 hours.
12. Turn the oven on to 350 degrees to preheat.
13. With parchment paper line cookie sheets.
14. The logs are cut into 1 in slices and placed on the prepared cookie sheets.
15. The cookies are baked 13 minutes or until just beginning to crack.
Why decorate sugar cookies for Halloween when you can decorate cinnamon ginger cookies! You don't have to use a simple sugar cookie recipe just because you're decorating cookies for holidays. Make the cookies as tasty as the frosting! Enjoy!