1. Heat grill to medium. When ready, set whole eggplants on the grate in the center, and cover grill. Cook eggplants, turning occasionally, until eggplant is cooked through and very soft and skins are blackened. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
2. When eggplant is cooled enough to handle, cut each eggplant in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh onto a cutting board - discard the blackened skin.
3. Chop the eggplant until it resembles a chunky puree, then scoop up into a bowl.
4. Now stir in the garlic, tahini, and lemon juice, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve with pita or other flat breads or good crackers.
You don't need to add a lot of seasonings or other ingredients when you start with grilled eggplant and use tahini. Those two flavors alone are plenty!
If you don't have a grill, you may oven roast the eggplant to soften it. Just put it (whole with holes poked through the skin in several places) on a baking sheet in the oven at about 375 degrees and roast it, turning several times, until it's fork-tender, then continue as instructed above.