1. Heat grill to medium-high heat (use stove top grill pan if you wish or outdoor grill).
2. Cut Kielbasa on slight diagonal into serving size pieces, about 1 inch thick.
3. Place Kielbasa on heated grill, cooking just long enough to get grill marks, turn and continue grilling until grill marks are all around. Remove and set aside.
4. In a bowl, toss together the coleslaw, dressing, pepper, and onion.
5. Get out a 10" size cast iron skillet (or suitable casserole pan), and put sausages in, then top with the coleslaw mix.
6. Cover the skillet tightly with aluminum foil. Place either in the oven at 375, or if you are using an outdoor grill, put on the grill on indirect heat and close grill cover.
7. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Serves 4.
We cook quite a bit outdoors on the grill, so this dish is perfect for us. We grill the kielbasa and 'bake' the dish in the grill outside. I like the extra smokiness the dish picks up from the grill. But, indoors in the oven still produces a nice, flavorful dish. You can always add a pinch of smoked paprika to get that smokey flavor if you wish.
If you happen to have regular Italian dressing in the refrigerator, you can use that instead of the spicy Italian dressing. If you want to stay with a spicy taste, just add some red pepper flakes, cumin, or similar seasonings.