* 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
* 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
* 1/3 cup celery, finely diced
* 1 Tbsp flour
* 2 cups milk
* 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
* 1/2 cup peanut butter
* 1/4 tsp salt
* crushed peanuts, crunchy bacon bits, and crunchy sprouts for garnish if desired
1. In large saucepan over medium heat, add butter, onion, and celery, and cook, stirring, until vegetables soften, about 4 minutes.
2. Sprinkle in flour and stir to combine; slowly add milk, stirring constantly.
3. Slowly add stock, stirring constantly. Keep stirring until mixture thickens, then remove from heat.
4. Scoop about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture from saucepan and put into a mixing bowl; add peanut butter and whisk until combined. Then pour peanut butter mixture back into saucepan, stirring to combine.
5. Salt and taste, adjust as needed for flavor. 6. Serve warm garnished with a sprinkling of crisp fried bacon, crunchy sprouts, and chopped peanuts, if desired.
A beautiful peanut soup like this is so easy to make but looks, and tastes, so elegant. I do recommend using at least one garnish. The crushed peanuts are a must, but the salty bacon adds even more flavor and color. Of course the crunchy sprouts add a cold freshness to the soup. What the heck... add all three.