1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray TWO 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together salt, baking powder, and flour, then set aside.
3. Use a mixer to cream sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well, then add flour mixture and evaporated milk alternately.
4. Fold in vanilla, chopped figs, and almond extract, then divide mix into two prepared cake pans.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for thirty minutes. Cake is done when an inserted toothpick in the center of the cake comes out dry.
6. For filling: combine water, lemon juice, 2 cups figs, and brown sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until thickened. Spread evenly between cake layers and on top.
Figs are such a treat in our house, that when I get them, I want to do something special. This cake is right up there with the best, most 'fig-elicious' recipes you'll ever try. Make this cake for a special occasion and really surprise your guests. Enjoy!