Fancy Marinated Grilled Bass
* 6 tbsp olive oil
* Juice of a fresh lemon
* Zest of a fresh lemon, grated
* 1 tbsp fennel seed, crushed
* 2 tbsp fennel, chopped
* 2 cloves of garlic, minced
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp pepper
* 2 (2 lbs each) bass
* 2 fennel bulbs, sliced
* 1 tbsp brandy, optional
1. Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, fennel seed, fennel and garlic.
2. Lay the fish into a shallow container.
3. Score the fish four times on both sides.
4. Drizzle the lemon juice over the fish.
5. Put in refrigerator covered for at least 4 hours or overnight.
6. Remove the fish from the marinade.
7. In a small bowl mix the salt and pepper.
8. Sprinkle each piece of fish with the salt and pepper mixture.
9. A slice of fennel bulb is placed in each scored area of the fish.
10. Set the grill on the high temperature.
11. Grill the fish uncovered for 12 minutes turning after 7 minutes.
12. Remove the fish and place on a heatproof dish.
13. Pour the brandy over the pieces of grilled fish.
14. Ignite the brandy and allow it to burn out.
15. Serve with fresh lemon slices.
This grilled fish is definitely a fancy dish, so be sure to serve it to your very favorite people! The marinade is perfect, the fennel adds a wonderful touch, and the brandy flambe is just plain fun! A very grown-up dish, so don't even try to tempt the youngsters!