1. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
2. Add shortening and cut in with a pastry cutter or fork and knife until mixture forms small pebbles.
3. Slowly drizzle in hot water, stirring to combine until a dough is formed.
4. Make balls about 1 to 2 inches and roll out on floured surface until you have about a 6 inch tortilla.
5. Cook tortillas immediately if desired by frying in hot dry (no oil) skillet about 2 to 3 minutes on each side until browned.
6. You may also freeze or refrigerate the tortillas for later use. Just layer between sheets of parchment or waxed paper and seal in large ziplock bags.
These tortillas are so easy to make, there's no reason to stock up on store-bought. With just four ingredients you have in your pantry, and water, you will have tortillas ready whenever you want them. Mix them up, roll them out, fry them up, and you're done.
You can make a bigger batch and refrigerate or freeze for later. You can even make these if you're out camping. No eggs, no milk... everything you need is nonperishable. You'll be amazed how good these are, and how easy.